Saturday, August 31, 2013

Tutorial Steampunk Skirt: Part 1

Steam Ingenious is holding a contest:
 Your Best 2172 Contest  
The idea is to use Simplicity Pattern 2172 in a unique way. I've ordered the pattern (why is post from the USA so expensive?!). I was thinking of making a sleeveless coat, something like this:
For the skirt, I was thinking of making a high-low hem skirt with a bunch of ruffles, something like these designs:


 I'm not sure how I'm going to achieve all the cascading ruffles, but I have figured out the base skirt.

You will need:

  • a long skirt
  • bias tape
  • thread 
  • sewing machine
  • pins

 1. The base skirt should be quite long. Mine is ankle length. 
 2. Fold the skirt in half and sketch a curve from the centre of the skirt to the side seam. Make sure that you don't make the skirt too high in front: use an existing skirt as a guide if you need to. Pin along the line that you marked.
 3. Carefully cut the skirt, a few centimetres below the line you drew, to allow for mistakes. If your skirt has lining, cut the lining separately from the main skirt material. Cutting too many layers of fabric can result in jagged cuts.
 4. If you need to take the skirt in, do it now. To avoid bulk, take in the lining layer and the outer layer separately. I unpicked the waistband, took in the skirt, then resewed the waistband. It is tedious, but it reduces bulk.
 5. Finish the seams. You can use bias tape, or sew a zigzag stitch along the edge.
6. Here are my finished edges. This will stop any fraying. I used bias tape on the lining, and a zigzag stitch on the main material. 

Part 2: Making the ruffles.




2 comments:

  1. Did you ever finish this skirt? If so, what are your recommendations on creating the cascading ruffles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did. I made wide box pleats, but I didn't iron them. Box pleats have a more structured look than gathered ruffles, which I prefer. I think I posted a few pictures of the finished skirt here: http://malteselizziemcgee.blogspot.com/2014/03/wayward-victorian-carnival-costume.html
      Hope this was useful for you

      Delete