Monday, January 21, 2019

Cosplay Throwbacks . . . Arwen



When? 
I made this in 2012 for Medieval Mdina. I wanted a Medieval-themed dress to wear, and I'd always loved Arwen's beautiful Blood Red dress. 


How? 
This was made in my early sewing years. I didn't know much about materials and was on a tight budget. I got lucky at a charity shop and found a blue stretch velvet dress to use as the base. THe upper sleeves are made from cotton that I hand-painted to create a paisley pattern. The lower sleeves are made from crushed velvet. The trouble with having non-stretch sleeves and a stretchy bodice is that the arm-scye was incredibly tight, so I had to add gussets to make it fit.

Has it aged well?
I don't have this costume any more; I ended up cutting it up for other projects. Based on the pictures, the dress looks fine, but not very accurate. 
Would I remake it? 
I still love the design, so if I had the opportunity I would love to remake this. At the moment, though, it isn't a priority. There are some other costumes from Lord of the Rings that I would like to make, such as Eowyn's Shieldmaiden dress.

What would I change?
I would use better quality materials. I might also try to be more accurate to the original design; for example, I would avoid using a princess seam pattern. I would also wear a wig or curl my hair.  
















No comments:

Post a Comment